Our counseling services may be included in a client’s substance abuse treatment program or utilized independently of drug/alcohol treatment.
Fees are calculated on a sliding scale, based on ability to pay. HMO or PPO insurance may cover counseling costs. Call us for an assessment and to find out how your treatment may be funded.
Specialized Outpatient Groups
We offer morning, afternoon, evening and weekend outpatient groups to help our clients maintain long-term recovery, improve interpersonal relationships and develop new skills for living. Some groups meet requirements for offenders referred by Long Beach probation and the local courts. Each group is led by a trained facilitator. Individuals may participate in outpatient services for up to one year.
- Parenting Education: The 52-week program meets requirements for court-ordered PC273.1. Usually, if not PC273.1, DCFS or the court will order clients 12 to 26 weeks.
- Commitment to Change: Learn effective ways to handle change with ease.
- Life Skills: Learn to implement the skills necessary for full participation in everyday life.
- Relapse Prevention: Preventing drug/alcohol relapse by recognizing early warning signs and risky situations.
- Framework for Recovery: Avoiding self-defeating thoughts and behaviors.
- Self-Esteem: Defeating inner critic and feeling better about self.
- Feelings: Identifying and coping with emotions and feelings.
- Building Healthy Boundaries: Setting and maintaining personal boundaries.
Safe Refuge is certified by the County of Los Angeles to provide drug and alcohol education and/or counseling services for offenders referred by Long Beach Probation and the local courts.
- PC 1210 (formerly Proposition 36/Offender Treatment Program): Substance abuse treatment in lieu of incarceration for first- and second-time nonviolent, simple drug possession offenders. The comprehensive process includes assessment, treatment, probation supervision and regular progress reviews by the court.
- Child Abuse Prevention (PC273.1): Helps people understand and break cycle of family violence; learn effective parenting models. Certified for Los Angeles County Probation PC273.1 participants.
- Domestic Violence:The batterers’ program, meeting Los Angeles County Probation Department guidelines, is designed to stop domestic violence by holding the batterer responsible for violence in a relationship. The victims’ group empowers individuals to break free of the abusive cycle.
- Deferred Entry of Judgment (PC1000): First-time drug offenders can have their original charge dismissed by successfully completing the program and staying out of trouble.
- Anger Management: Teaches people to identify problem anger and gain skills to overcome the problem. Meets requirements for court-ordered participants, can be 12, 26, or 52 weeks.
- Post-Release Community Supervision – Substance Use Disorder Treatment Program Services: Helps low- risk (non-serious, nonviolent, nonsexual) offenders make a successful re-entry. Residential treatment, outpatient treatment, and sober living services funded through Assembly Bill 109. (Assembly Bill 109 also offers transitional housing and job placement services in a sober living environment. See Housing for Special Populations.
Private, Individual Counseling
The following private counseling services are available by appointment daily:
- Individual, family and significant other counseling
- Young adult counseling
- Drug/alcohol counseling
- Domestic violence counseling