Call: (562) 987-5722


Do I have to be a California resident to receive treatment at Safe Refuge?

No, our treatment programs are open to all people who want to recover from alcoholism and drug abuse.

How do I get started?

When you contact us at 562-987-5722 or 888-476-2743 (7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time), we will conduct a free, confidential assessment that will determine next steps.

How do I pay for treatment?

Safe Refuge will conduct an assessment to determine if you qualify for government funding. We also accept Medi Cal, cash and credit cards

How will I know which program or treatment is best for me?

A trained staff member will interview you and conduct an assessment to determine what services meet your immediate treatment needs.

I have tried drug treatment programs before, and they have never worked for me. Is it worth it for me to try again?

Yes. Sometimes it takes more than one attempt to succeed. Each program is different and each time you attempt this, you are different too. Don’t give up!

What is your success rate with your clients?

It is difficult to track all clients who leave the program after successful completion, but the records we do have show that approximately 75% remain clean for at least the first year.

I am being discharged from another treatment program. Can I get additional help from yours?

It is very possible this can occur — please call our intake department at 888-476-2743 for an assessment.

Do you help people with substance abuse combined with mental health problems?

Yes, Safe Refuge has been serving people with co-occurring disorders for more than two decades. Because many people with drug or alcohol problems also suffer from depression, anxiety and other mental health issues, our counselors are trained to work with clients with co-occurring disorders .

What kinds of credentials do your counselors have?

Our counselors are drug and alcohol certified; we also employ therapist interns.

Do you serve the LBGT community?

Yes, our programs are inclusive, allowing persons from all backgrounds to receive our services. In addition, we do have a program focused on issues specifically relevant to the LBGT community.

Do you have a program for veterans?

Yes, we have programs specifically designated for homeless and indigent veterans, offering substance abuse treatment, transitional housing and supportive services.

What happens to my children if I enroll in treatment?

We can accommodate women and/or men with children in our programs. Safe Refuge offers, residential and outpatient treatment, housing, and family case management.

How long has your agency been providing treatment services?

Safe Refuge began providing substance abuse treatment services for men, women and families in 1988. We have received recognition from clients who have successfully completed our programs as well as from the funding agencies that allow us to continue providing services to the underserved.

What is the cost of your alcohol-and-drug-free housing?

The cost of housing is based on a sliding fee scale, according to each person’s ability to pay. Some special housing programs may be funded, in part, by the County of Los Angeles. We can discuss your individual situation with you.

Are counseling services available for family members?

Yes, Safe Refuge realizes the importance of involving the entire family. We have counseling for spouses and significant others and on-site 12-step support groups for family members.

Are you looking for volunteers?

If you are interested in helping our mission, we encourage you to visit our Donations and Wish List pages and see if there may be some assistance you can provide in those areas.

Do you have a wish list of donated items or in-kind services?

We certainly do and appreciate all assistance in this area. As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, all donations – monetary, goods and services – are greatly appreciated. Please go to Wish List for current needs.

How can I donate to your organization?

We appreciate all support. Simply click Donations, where you can make a donation now, or call us at (562) 987-5722 or (888) 476-2743.